Text size :
1. Yang Berhormat Dato Seri Setia Awang Abdul Mutalib bin Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Setia Dato Paduka Awang Haji Mohammad Yusof, Minister of Transport and Infocommunications, who is also the Minister-in-charge of Cybersecurity, Brunei Darussalam attended the Singapore International Cyber Week (SICW) 2021 and the 6th ASEAN Ministerial Conference on Cybersecurity (AMCC) via video conferencing on 5th – 7th October 2021.
2. With the theme "Living with COVID-19 – Reimagining digital security risks and opportunities", SICW 2021 was officiated by His Excellency Teo Chee Hean, Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security, Republic of Singapore.
3. The opening ceremony was then followed by the SICW Ministerial Roundtable Opening Session where Yang Berhormat Minister of Transport and Infocommunications participated as a speaker on the topic 'A Multi-stakeholder Approach to Cybersecurity'. During the Ministerial Roundtable Opening Session, Yang Berhormat Minister of Transport and Infocommunications shared on Digitalisation as one of the Strategic Thrusts under Brunei Darussalam's ASEAN Chairmanship for 2021.
4. As a result from the impacts of COVID-19 pandemic, digitalisation is driving the sectors which are now being depended upon by citizens and businesses for continuity, stability, well-being and survival, which need to be supported by cybersecurity. With the challenges arising from cybersecurity threats and incidents especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, commitment to cybersecurity has now gone beyond protecting the Critical Information Infrastructures (CIIs), but also to address key emerging issues such data integrity and sovereignty, confidence building measures and most importantly, strengthening collaboration and coordination especially with other sectoral bodies.
5. The 6th ASEAN Ministerial Conference on Cybersecurity (6th AMCC) held on 6th October 2021, is an annual Ministerial-level dialogue for ASEAN ICT and Cybersecurity Ministers to discuss key cybersecurity issues in the region. The 6th AMCC started with the launch of the ASEAN-Singapore Cybersecurity Centre of Excellence by Her Excellency Josephine Teo, Minister for Communication and Information and the Minister-in-charge of Smart Nation and Cybersecurity, Republic of Singapore, witnessed by other Ministers and Head of Delegates from ASEAN.
6. During the 6th AMCC, Yang Berhormat Minister of Transport and Infocommunications welcomed the current progress in the preparation of the Regional Action Plan on the Implementation of the Norms of Responsible State Behaviour in the Cyberspace. Yang Berhormat Minister of Transport and Infocommunications further reiterated on the need for cybernorms to be universally accepted and translated into practical actions applied across sectors, and for the initiatives to be relevant with the focus and priorities of ASEAN sectoral bodies.
7. The 6th AMCC also focused on the ASEAN Cybersecurity Cooperation Strategy 2021 – 2025 which once finalized will chart ASEAN's strategies in strengthening regional cooperation in cybersecurity. The Meeting also reaffirmed the support for the 11 voluntary, non-binding norms of responsible State behaviour in the use of ICTs and noted the reports of the inaugural UN Open-Ended Working Group (OEWG) and the 6th UN Group of Governmental Experts (GGE) on international security in cyberspace.
8. SICW 2021 concluded on 7th October 2021 with the Ministerial Roundtable Closing Session where speakers representing the government and the industry discussed on ways to navigate the opportunities and risks presented by living in the new norm, from the perspective of cybersecurity.
9. Also joining the virtual SICW 2021 and 6th AMCC were Yang Mulia Awang Haji Mohammad Nazri bin Haji Mohammad Yusof, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transport and Infocommunications (MTIC), Yang Mulia Awang Haji Hairul Mohd Daud bin Haji Abdul Karim, Deputy Permanent Secretary (Infocommunications) MTIC, Yang Mulia Awang Shamsul Bahri bin Haji Kamis, Interim Commissioner of Cyber Security Brunei (CSB) and senior officials from MTIC and CSB.
Ministry of Transport and Infocommunications,
7th October 2021
Copyright © Ministry of Transport and Infocommunications, Brunei Darussalam. All Right Reserved.